The Queen calls off Christmas lunch for fifty family members to Windsor amid soaring Omicron cases

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

Queen CANCELS family pre-Christmas lunch for 50 people at Windsor Castle ‘with regret’ as a ‘precaution’ to try to save her loved ones’ festive plans

The 95-year-old monarch was planning to welcome 50 or so relatives, including Prince Charles and Camilla, to an event at Windsor Castle next week.

One day after the festive party, the Queen was due to travel by helicopter to Sandringham in Norfolk, where she is set to spend Christmas itself. 

However it has now emerged the Queen ‘with regret’ has cancelled her family lunch as a ‘precautionary’ measure, feeling that too many people’s Christmas arrangements were at risk if it went ahead. 

The Queen has cancelled her annual Royal Family Christmas lunch on Tuesday amid fears over the Omicron Covid variant

Royal sources said ‘there is a belief that it is the right thing to do for all concerned.’ 

It marks the second year the Queen has cancelled the event, usually held at Buckingham Palace.

Last year she called off the lunch when tougher restrictions were brought in amid the surge of the Delta Covid strain. 

It comes as millions of Britons axed their festive plans so they can see family on Christmas Day after Boris Johnson and Chris Whitty triggered a ‘tsunamis of cancellations’ for pubs and restaurants by urging the country only to socialise if necessary – and not in large groups or with strangers. 

Ahead of the announcement, royal expert Camilla Tominey appeared on This Morning today, and told viewers the monarch was considering leaving it ‘up to guests’ over whether they attend. 

An officer of the Saudi Arabia Navy takes a selfie with the Prince of Wales, Admiral of the Fleet, as he presides over the Lord High Admiral's Divisions at Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth today

Leave a Comment