Summer Vegetable Lasagne with Pesto Sauce
- Preheat oven to 200C.
To make the pasta
- Place flour, eggs and salt in a food processor and pulse until dough forms adding a little water if necessary. Turn out onto floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap and set in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from the fridge and divide into 3. Working with 1/3 at a time, keeping the remaining dough covered, pass the dough through pasta machine on its thickest setting. Fold dough in half and pass again. Repeat this 4 times and then pass dough through progressively thinner settings. Trim dough into lasagne sheets and repeat with remaining dough.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil over high heat. Cook lasagne sheets in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove from water and place in an ice bath to stop the cooking. Remove from ice bath and lay out on a tray and set aside.
To make the tomato sauce
- Place olive oil and butter in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery and cook until softened. Add tomatoes and continue cooking until broken down. Add sage, basil and rosemary and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until sauce reduces and thickens. Season and set aside.
To make the cheese sauce
- Place the butter in a saucepan and set over medium heat to melt. Add flour and stir to combine. Add milk, a little at a time, while whisking. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat, add 150 grams taleggio and parmesan and whisk until smooth and combined. Set aside.
To prepare the vegetables
- Place a grill pan over high heat. Toss eggplant and zucchini in 2 tablespoons olive oil and season. Add eggplant and zucchini slices and char grill until starting to caramelise. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Using tongs, hold capsicums over an open flame until skin blackens all over. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- Peel skins from capsicums. Cut into slices, discarding seeds and membrane and set aside.
To assemble lasagne
- Spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce on a 26cm x 34cm baking tray. Cover with a layer of lasagne sheets. Continue to layer vegetables and lasagne sheets, finishing with a lasagne sheet. Spread with cheese sauce so that it is completely covered. Dot with remaining tallegio.
- Place in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
To make the sourdough crumb
- Place sourdough bread into bowl of food processor and pulse to form crumbs. Place crumbs into frypan along with olive oil and set over a medium high heat. Stir continuously 3-4 minutes until crumbs are golden and crisp. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
For the pesto
- Combine pesto ingredients in a small bowl of food processor and blend until smooth sauce forms.
- Cut lasagne into rectangles and serve topped with sourdough crumb and pesto sauce.
Courtesy of Masterchef Australia