A Brisbane woman has been confirmed dead following Saturday night’s terrorist attack on London Bridge.
Sara Zelenak, 21, was separated from her friend on London Bridge when the violence began.
Her mother, who had flown to London to find her daughter, shared a post to the woman’s Facebook on Wednesday to tell followers her body had been found.
‘Sara Zelenak is confirmed dead, they found her body and has DNA tests confirmed. Thank you for all the overwhelming love and support from everyone,’ she wrote.
Her mother, Julie Wallace, confirmed the devastating news in a Facebook post on Wednesday
Ms Zelenak’s mother Julie Wallace travelled to London on Tuesday to search for her missing daughter.
She revealed Sara, who had worked as a nanny in London since March, avoided the horror on Westminster Bridge earlier this year and was very nearly caught up in the Manchester suicide bombing.
‘Horror, complete horror. And the one with the policeman being stabbed about three months ago, she was there the day before in the exact spot,’ Ms Wallace told radio station 97.3FM on Tuesday.
She also revealed her daughter had tickets to the ill-fated Ariana Grande concert in Manchester where a terrorist set off a bomb, killing 22, but end up not going.
Ms Zelenak was meant to be working on Saturday night, but a last-minute change of plans meant she was out with a friend on London Bridge.
Ms Wallace said she last spoke to her daughter at 4.42pm on Friday, Brisbane time.
- Kirsty Boden, 28, from Loxton, Australia.
- James McMullan, 32, from Hackney, east London.
- Christine Archibald, 30, from British Columbia, Canada.
- Alexandre Pigeard, 27, from Normandy, France.
- Sara Zelenak, 21, from Brisbane, Australia.
- Xavier Thomas, from Loire-Atlantique, France.
- Ignacio Echeverria, 39, from Las Rozas, Spain.
- Sebastien Belanger, from Angers, France.
She said her daughter had expressed her excitement about her upcoming trip with her mother and stepfather to France at the end of this month.
Ms Zelanak’s stepfather Mark Wallace said he was distraught after calling every hospital in London trying to find her – to no avail.
Ms Zelenak’s friend Pri Gonçalves was the last person to see her – but the pair became separated when they panicked and ran for their lives after a van began plowing into people on London Bridge.
The pair had been leaving London Grind, a trendy restaurant moments from the scene of the attack, and were looking for a bar to go to when the chaos began.
When she looked back and saw her friend wasn’t with her, she called Sara at 10.09pm – a minute after police received the first emergency call reporting the attack.
She tried again a couple of minutes later, again at 10.16pm and 10.17pm but received no answer.
She said Ms Zelenak hasn’t been online to check her messages on Whatsapp since 10.03pm, shortly before the attack began.
The pair, both au pairs working in Herne Hill in south London, had met on the train.
That evening, they were out celebrating Ms Zelenak’s new job in Westminster and had met at London Bridge station before going to dinner.
Of the seven confirmed deaths from the attack, five have now been named, including Miss Boden and Miss Zelenak.
The other three victims were revealed as Londoner James McMullan, 32, Canadian tourist Christine Archibald, 30, and French waiter Alexandre Pigeard, 27.
The heartbroken family of Ms Boden revealed she died after she ran towards danger in a bid to save lives.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has reached out to the families of both of the Australians killed in a sickening rampage his foreign minister has described as savage beyond belief.
The prime minister earlier spoke with the family of Ms Zelenak, who was on London Bridge after becoming separated from a friend when the rampage began.
Her family were bracing for the worst after appealing for information about the 21-year-old nanny in a Facebook post shared hundreds of times on Monday, saying she usually rang her mother daily.
‘I am a father … Kirsty or Sara could be one of my kids, it could be one of your kids,’ Mr Turnbull told 3AW’s Neil Mitchell on Wednesday.
‘This is heart-rending, this is the last thing anybody expects to happen to their children when they are in London.’
Ms Bishop says the families are on their way to London and have asked for privacy.
‘You can understand what a harrowing time they are going through,’ she told Sydney’s 2GB radio.
‘The two beautiful young women enjoying a night out in London. I have to say, the savagery of these attacks is just beyond belief.’
In a statement earlier on Wednesday, Ms Bishop said: ‘The Australian Government is deeply saddened to confirm that two Australians have been killed in the London terrorist attack.
‘We continue to work with the United Kingdom authorities who have asked that we await official confirmation of the identities of the victims, and for the families to be officially notified, before we release their names.’
Prince Harry paid tribute to the victims of the terror attack during a speech to launch the Invictus Games in Sydney on Wednesday.
‘I would also like to start by sending my thoughts to those affected by Saturday’s attack in London Bridge,’ he said.
‘Australians form an important and vibrant part of the fabric of life in London and we are reminded of that in good times and bad.
‘And our hearts go out to the victims, their friends and families.’